Chicago is known for its historical landmarks, rich cultural opportunities, and top-notch restaurants, but can your budget handle such an itinerary? Absolutely! The city is full of affordable sights and experiences, so you can spend your time exploring the Windy City without blowing your budget. Here are just a few selections of what the city has to offer to help you create your Chicago itinerary.
- The Lincoln Park Zoo is a great pick for animal lovers and sightseers alike. This free zoo features an unbelievable view of the skyline as well as seasonal light displays.
- Millennium Park is located in the heart of downtown Chicago. It features free concerts and film viewings in the summer and ice skating in the winter. The reflective Cloud Gate, or the “Bean,” is situated outside and is a great spot for photography.
- Navy Pier is a free waterfront boardwalk with gardens, rides, shops, restaurants, and other attractions. Not only is admission free, but a free fireworks display takes place every Wednesday and Saturday night in the summer.
Arts and Culture
- The Chicago Cultural Center displays a calendar of free events like art exhibits, music performances, dance recitals, and film screenings. You can also tour the building itself for free and view the world’s largest Tiffany stained-glass dome.
- Chicago neighborhoods have a number of unique art and cultural centers to celebrate the diversity of the city. You can visit the National Museum of Mexican Art (Pilsen), DANK-HAUS German American Cultural Center (Lincoln Square), Oriental Institute (Hyde Park), and the Southside Community Art Center (Bronzeville).
- Local neighborhood restaurants can give you a quick and inexpensive tour of international cuisine. From pho in Uptown to a burrito in Pilsen to dim sum in Chinatown, you can experience the authentic flavors of another country without leaving Chicago.
- Local food carts serve Chicago’s famous Italian beef, Chicago-style hot dogs, and Polish sausage. For a few dollars, you can experience true Chicago street cuisine.
Shoreline Sightseeing Can Fit Your Budget!
When you’re planning your Chicago itinerary, be sure to include a Shoreline Sightseeing tour of the city. We offer an affordable way to explore the iconic sights and sounds of the Windy City. You can check out our great architecture tours to experience all the history in Chicago’s construction. We look forward to seeing you!