The Best Music Venues in Chicago
There are few better ways to finish a day in the Windy City than with live music at one of the best music venues in Chicago. After seeing the sights from one of our world-famous Chicago architecture tours, consider stopping by one of these seven music venues for some of the best live music the city has to offer.
The 7 Best Concert Halls in Chicago
We had a tough enough time narrowing our list of the best music venues in Chicago down to these 7, so we wish you luck on deciding which one or two to explore as part of your day of adventure in the city.
- The Aragon Ballroom – This converted dance hall has been standing since the early 1900s and is as beautiful as it is spacious. The size means you’ll likely find more mainstream bands on the headliner. The rest of our list is filled with more intimate venues, but the Aragon is not to be missed.
- The Green Mill – Beginning as Pop Morse’s Roadhouse in 1907, The Green Mill is an integral part of Chicago’s history, and jazz has been part of the Green Mill since its inception. Keep the party going long after the 2 a.m. bars close with the best local and national jazz music.
- Schuba’s Tavern – It’s tough to miss Schuba’s if you’re driving or walking down Belmont. It’s old-time tavern exterior gives the pub and music venue a quaint feel, and the concert hall in back feels downright cozy. Schuba’s has a history of booking up-and-coming bands before they break into the industry, with live music nearly every night.
- City Winery – If you want to enjoy the atmosphere as much as the music, take a seat at City Winery for a show that’s about as intimate as having the musicians playing right in your living room.
- Jazz Showcase – Joe Segal, 87, has been hosting Jazz Showcase all over the city since 1947, and they still bring in the current titans of jazz as well as the genre’s future successes.
- Old Town School of Folk Music – This Lincoln Square staple is where Chicagoans go to learn and practice their music, with acts from the indie rock and folk scenes frequently taking the stage to highlight the importance of the Old Town School. It has the intimacy of City Winery with your money going to a good cause.
- The Double Door – Right off of the Damen Blue Line stop, the Double Door has a unique atmosphere to it. The venue itself is a bit odd – you could end up behind a pillar if you aren’t careful – but the sound crew and acoustics make it one of the best small venues in Chicago.
Start Booking Your Chicago Adventure
After an exciting Chicago architectural boat tour, check out a concert or two at one of the best music venues in Chicago. If you have any questions about our tours or want more music recommendations, contact Shoreline Sightseeing online or by phone at 312-222-9328.